MPA Capstone Topics
MPA students work in groups to investigate recent real issues affecting public or nonprofit organizations.
Recent Capstone teams investigated the following topics and questions:
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the Feed the Future (FTF) Initiative and other global food security programs.
- Exploring the managerial, operational and cultural implications of Congressional oversight and limited home rule for the Washington, D.C. city government.
- Investigating environmental policy issues relating to the Colorado River.
- How do local governments manage personnel during unexpected crises?
- Analysis of homeless services networks in the Washington, D.C. metro area.
- Competition for resources and mission overlap in nonprofit collaborative networks and projects.
- How do federal programs and NGOs measure organizational outcomes in volunteer programs?
- What are the costs and benefits of portfolio management in the education system and what can it offer to D.C. Public Schools?
- Investigation of organizational factors that enable corruption in U.S. Customs and Border
- What is the effect of recent tax reforms on the fundraising capabilities of nonprofit organizations?
- How can telework contribute to effective public sector management?
- Comparative analysis of open data influence on effectiveness in public managers and the public at different levels of government.
- Examination of competition for grants among nonprofit organizations.
- How has USAID Forward affected the organizational structure of USAID and its relationships with partners?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses as well as the areas for potential improvement in the interagency collaboration process (using foreign assistance stakeholders as a "case study"/narrative)?
- Affordable Care Act and Community Health Centers: What is the nationwide impact?
- The role of leadership in conflict resolution management across diverse public organizations at state and/or local levels.
- Transportation Security Administration: Public perceptions of effectiveness.
- Preparing for the human capital crisis: An assessment of succession planning efforts in the federal government.
Category: Capstone project